Block Party

Acquiring a Permit
Permits must be obtained in the Traffic Operations office. When you request your permit, please have with you all the required information as stated with each permit description. Direct any questions to the Traffic Operations office.

Permit Details

There is no fee to obtain a block party permit, but you must obtain the permit not less than 5 days before the block party. Details of the block part permit are:
  • Fee: None
  • Request must be made in writing to the City Traffic Engineer not less than 5 days prior to party.
  • Only residential streets will be considered for closure for a block party, and the individual(s) assuming responsibility for the party must be a property owner in the area to be closed.
  • Letter must insure that all property owners within the area where the street is to be closed have been notified and there is no objection to the party by any property owner.
  • Maximum amount of time that street closure will be permitted is 6 hours, with no closure permitted to continue past 10 p.m.
  • On weekdays, Monday through Friday, closures may be permitted from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Closures may be permitted between 1 p.m. and 10 p.m. (6 hour maximum) on Saturday, Sunday or holiday.
  • Individual(s) responsible for the party must provide sufficient number of construction type barricades with orange and white reflective sheeting at their expense to implement street closure. Note: Construction barricades may be rented from Tri-State Traffic Control by calling 888-457-9644 or 417-276-03490 or United Rentals Highway Technologies. It takes at least 3 Type I barricades to close a street up to 30 feet in width.
  • Individual(s) responsible for the party are responsible for placing the barricades in the street at the approved time and insuring removal of the barricades as required to open the street to traffic again.
  • A minimum of 12 foot clear traffic lane must be maintained within the closure area to insure passage of local traffic (as necessary) and access by an emergency vehicle if required. Access by emergency vehicles cannot be denied.
  • If at any time during the hours of the block party, a property owner complains to the police about noise, behavior of participants, etc., the police will have no choice but to terminate the party on city right of way and open the street to traffic.
  • Any applicant who has been denied a permit by the City Traffic Engineer may request that the application be submitted to the city council for consideration (requires 30 days).