Pit Bulls in Springfield
How do I register a pit bull?
In order to be in compliance with the ordinance currently and in the future, pit bull or pit mix owners must do the following:
- Owners must register pit bulls or pit mixes yearly with Springfield Animal Control.
- Registration requires proof that the dog: has current rabies vaccination, is spayed or neutered and is microchipped.
- This registration must be renewed annually and includes a $50 fee each year.
- Owners must keep pit bull or pit mix dogs safe at all times
- The dog is required to be kept in a six-sided pen when unattended outdoors.
- Owners must post a sign at least 8"x10" stating "Pit Bull Dog" at each entrance to the owner's property.
- Owners must keep the pit bull leashed and muzzled while not on the owner's property.
- Owners bringing their pit bulls in to the city for veterinary appointments or grooming will not be required to register their dog, but will have to follow the other requirements, most notably muzzling and keeping control of the dog.
- Service dogs, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, are subject to local dog licensing and registration requirements.
Some other things to know:
- The required liability insurance for adoption partners has been reduced to $100,000.
- Penalties for violating the city’s pit bull violations are:
- The first violation will be a minimum $500 fine or one year probation and 100 hours of community service. Jail time is possible.
- The second and each subsequent violation will be a $1,000 fine or two years probation and 200 hours of community service. Jail time is possible.